Monday, July 28, 2014

Make It Monday - Clipboard Cutie

I've seen a lot of cute clipboards on Etsy, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay for one!  So I decided it was finally time to try my hand at it!  I'm happy to say that it came out fairly well and it wasn't too hard or messy.  That being said, I have some tips on how your experience could be a lot less messy (and quite a bit easier) than mine!

To start, I just used a cruddy old clipboard I had lying around the room.  For a first time experience I figured it wouldn't matter.  It probably didn't, but if I were to do it over again, I'd be sure I picked a better clipboard.  My first choice would be one that had screws so I could remove the hardware and easily cover the whole board with scrapbook paper.  The board I had didn't have screws, it had pins.  I couldn't remove the hardware and had to work around it.  It made for a sometimes sticky mess.

Now if you can't find the ones with screws (or if they are too expensive) then I'd opt for the ones that have a clip that rests on the metal hardware itself and not on the actual board.  I later bought this clip board at Walmart for $1.37.  I think it will work much better for my next one!  When the clip rested on the board that was covered with Mod Podge, it stuck if you weren't careful!

Now that you have picked a much better clipboard than I did, gather the rest of your supplies.  I used the glossy Mod Podge, but I'm sure you could use the flat just as easily.  And I wouldn't use the glue substitute recipe you can find on Pinterest.  I tried that a couple of years ago on a different project and it didn't turn out very well.  It turned a yellowish color and the paper fell off within the year.  Spring for the real stuff, it's worth it and you can use it on TONS of projects.  Then just grab some scrapbook paper, ribbon or Washi tape, and a paint brush.  I even used a few scraps of my bulletin board border!  Now you may also want to grab a pair of scissors but I didn't use them.  I used a file instead.  I wanted a weathered, old feel to the piece.  But if you want it to look perfect, by all means, break out the scissors!

Then just coat the front of your board with a thick layer of Mod Podge and press your paper right onto the board.  Push from the center of the board outward to get rid of any air bubbles.  If you're using more than one piece of paper you may want to work in stages.  Then trim your edges.  I did this while it was still a little wet.  I used a file and just scraped the edges of the board until the paper came right off.  If you're using scissors, you may want to wait until your project is dry before trimming the excess paper.


After the paper dried, I applied another coat of Mod Podge, right on top of the paper, and allowed this to dry as well.  I applied 3 top coats in all and finished the front with a quick spray of the Mod Podge in a can to seal it well.  Then I flipped it over and did the same thing to the back.  Afterwards, I hot glued a flower into the metal hole on the clip to make it pretty, and it was done.

Front of board.
I have to say, it's more time consuming than my other projects with all the dry times, and it's probably the messiest project yet, but I'm making more, so it's not THAT bad!
Back of the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment