Monday, July 21, 2014

Make It Monday - Ugly Bookcase Fix

Okay, so today's Make It Monday isn't much to talk about - but hey, it didn't cost much or take long either.  So I had this ugly old bookcase that I didn't have the heart to get rid of, AND... I kinda needed a bookcase for behind my guided reading table to store my Daily 5 supplies.  When I pulled the book baskets off of it, I noticed that at some point in its long, hard life, this poor bookcase had been written on with permanent marker.  I really didn't want to see the scribbles, and with the hubby deployed, moving it outside to paint it wasn't going to happen.  My mom suggested good old Mod Podge and wrapping paper, but I knew I'd drip on the carpet and get myself in trouble with the custodial staff.  Don't want to do that before school even starts - and in a new-to-me-building!
See the scribbles?

So I decided I could cover the back with Contact Paper without getting myself into too much trouble.  I searched eBay for polka dot paper and ALMOST decided to pay close to $20 for a roll!  I know, ME - 20 bucks!  Unheard of, right?  But I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Then, while shopping with a friend at Big Lots, I stumbled upon the exact same polka dot Contact Paper for 2 bucks!  It wasn't an exact match to my room, but hey, 2 bucks is right up my alley!  So I measured the backs and carefully peeled and stuck the paper to the back.  Quick, easy, and yes, CHEAP fix for an ugly bookcase.  Sorry it's not more exciting, but here is the finished bookcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment