Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tech Tip Tuesday - Save Videos to Your Computer

How many times have you pinned a cute brain break video on Pinterest, or found a video on YouTube that would be awesome with your curriculum, but then it just sits there as a pin...  Finding cool things on Pinterest and actually using them are 2 totally different things.  And if you're like me, you have mountains of pins you've been meaning to use, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  This tutorial will help with all of those cool videos you've found.  Once you download the videos to your computer you can embed them into Power Points, Flipcharts, Glogs, or just keep them in a folder on your computer so you can access them anytime you want WITHOUT the internet!  That's right.  No buffering, no ads, and no waiting for them to download.  They'll always be right at your fingertips.  And it's super easy.  I know...  I always say that!  But it is!
First, find a video you'd like to save.  This works best on YouTube.  Copy the URL address at the top of your screen.
Then open a new tab for KeepVid.com.  This is a free site that allows you to download and store videos on your computer.  Paste the copied YouTube URL into the box on this page that says, "Enter the link of the video you'd like to download."  Then ignore the BIG blue and green buttons!  They are advertisements.  Click the boring grey download button.  This may take awhile, and if prompted, go ahead and click Run.  A whole bunch of download choices will appear.  You want MP4.  There may be a few of these as well.  Click Max 480p or 720p.  Either one is fine.
Now depending on which browser you're in, you may get a couple of different choices.  If you're in Chrome, it will probably just automatically download your video to your Downloads folder on your computer.  I'd move it from there to a folder on your desktop for easier access, but that's up to you.  And if you don't know where you're Download folder is, that's okay!  It's right here, under your computer button.
You can find your video in that folder.
If you're using Explorer, you may get a prompt in the lower right-hand corner of your screen when you start your MP4 download.  Like this:
I like to use Explorer to download videos because of this pop-up.  It allows me to choose where I want to save my video.  Click that little arrow beside the Save button and a couple of options will show up in the drop down menu.

Choose Save As and you will be able to save your video anywhere on your computer.  Personally, I have a folder on my desktop labeled Graphics.  Inside that folder I have all my graphics and videos stored inside folders broken down by subject, then theme, and then individual story or concept.  This way I know where everything is when I go to make a flipchart for the Promethean board or a Glog.  
That's it.  Now you can watch your video anytime you want - without internet access.  And it will always be there.  If you'd like to learn how to embed these videos into your Promethean board flipcharts, Power Points, Glogs, or other applications, let me know.  I'll do another tip on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment