Monday, October 27, 2014

Witches' Brew

Okay, so I guess the dry spell is over.  My nail appointment for tonight was postponed, so I have a little time to blog about our second annual Witches' Brew.  Oh, and the nails are going patriotic in honor of the hubby coming home...  Can't wait!!!!!

Because I'm in love with Wicked (the musical)  - and also Halloween in general - and because I love tea, last year I decided to mix the 2 for a wickedly great time!  Well, we had such a great time, we decided to make it a Halloween tradition!  Now every year, we dress as witches, sip our tea, and enjoy some freaky good food and companionship.  The menu this year included:

Savory Course:
Zombie Stew with Coffin Toast Point 
(Lentil soup with a Dollar Store eyeballs)
Devil's Eye Eggs
(Hard-boiled eggs cracked and put in food coloring, and then deviled) 
Monster Snot in a Cup
(Herbed Brie cheese in phyllo cup)
Cucumber Coffin Sandwiches
(Just cucumber sandwiches and a coffin cookie cutter) and 
Mystery Meat Sandwich
(Thin cut ham and broccoli salad on white bread)

Followed by Hand Loaf - straight off the Zombie.
(Just a meatloaf shaped like a hand with onion for the nails and wrist bone)

The Sweet Course was a little less frightening:
Ogre Eyes
(Almond panna cotta with kiwi and pureed strawberries)

Almond Poppy Seed Skull Scones with brains (coconut curd) and cream on the side, 

and homemade Kidney (and any other leftover organs) Pie
(Pumpkin pie with freshly made pumpkin squash)

It was all served with my mom's homemade Masala Chai tea which had been simmering for a couple of hours and made the house smell fantastic!  Between courses we enjoyed Eye of Newt (pearl tapioca in homemade apple pie moonshine!) in small cordial glasses to cleanse the pallet and everyone took home a Witches' Brew Bottle of homemade wine (courtesy of my wonderful daddy) and a packet of my mother's Masala Chai to enjoy at home.

It was so much fun decorating the dining room and planning the menu for this event.  The only hard part is trying to come up with new ideas each year!  Thank you Pinterest!




Here's the link for the panna cotta recipe.  It's so delicious, decadent, and easy to make, but looks impressive on the table!  FYI:  I use silicone muffin molds to get the panna cotta out of the cups easily.  If you want any of the other recipes, just let me know.  I'd be happy to share.

I'm thinking of planning a Dicken's of a Tea Party for Christmas...

1 comment:

  1. Love the zombie hand loaf! Looks like wicked good fun.

    ReplyDelete