Friday, July 15, 2016

Coastal Shabby Chic No-Sew Curtains

I just realized that I never posted about the curtains I made.  These were the first additions to my new classroom theme.  If you're looking for a shabby chic, no-sew curtain, these were easy and I love how they turned out.

Here they are actually on a window in my classroom, but this isn't how they started!

I actually started by ripping up a flat sheet!  I knew I needed some filler pieces, and we no longer had a queen-sized bed, so...  I used those frayed-edge strips along with a mix of various laces, netting, burlap, and ribbons to construct these no-sew curtains.  Some of the laces I grabbed from my mom's antique shop.  It's very handy having a fabric-loving hoarder for a mother!  Seriously, some of the lace was from my junior prom dress!  I also used some pieces that I had on hand from my parents' 50th wedding anniversary.  I bought very few pieces, but what I did buy, I got on sale 50% off at Hobby Lobby.  Here is a picture of some of my supplies before I started!


My anchor was this 4 inch natural jute woven lattice wire edge ribbon from Hobby Lobby - which was of course 50% off.  I made all 3 curtains with 1 roll of this and still have some left over to decorate with!  I measured the width of my window and then added 4 inches so the curtain would drape.  I cut the 4 inch jute lattice to the length I needed.  I also measured how long I wanted the curtains to be and then subtracted 4 inches for the width of the jute ribbon.

Next I measured each type of ribbon and cut it to the desired length of the curtains.  I divided each type into three piles, since I was making 3 curtains, so that each curtain would contain the same elements.  Some of my cheap, clearance ribbon was too wide, so I cut it into strips that would fit.  It really didn't matter if it frayed.  I liked that look.

Then I started knotting the laces and other items into the bottom box on the lattice.  Most times I doubled the lace and slipped the fold through the box, threading the ends through the fold loop to make a knot.  If the elements were too wide, like the frayed burlap, I just did a regular knot.  I filled every box and tried to space the various items out so they would look similar, but not identical.  I put the bigger pieces in first, the sheeting, burlap, netting, etc., and then filled in with the thinner pieces of ribbons and laces.  I didn't worry if all of the pieces were the same length, the varying lengths added to the curtain's charm.

To hang the curtains I used 3 Command Hooks above my window and hung them from the center and both ends.  Then I covered the hooks by adding a knot of burlap.  Easy!

Here's a closer picture of one of them hanging from our mantle.


No comments:

Post a Comment